St George Orthodox Church, Nashik
Christian community at Nashik did not have their own worship place. A congregation was formed in 1953 at Deolali for Nashik, Ojhar and DeolaliMalayalee Christians. As the strength of the Orthodox Christians increased, the “Holy Qurbana” was conducted on possible occasions. Members from Ojhar Township had started St Gregorios Orthodox Church as their own.
In the year 1983 some of the Orthodox believers took initiative to meet then Metropolitan of Bombay Diocese Late Lamented H.G.Dr.Philipose Mar Theophilus for the establishment of a parish at Nashik.The request was approvedand the parish was named by ValiaThirumeni as “St George Orthodox Church, NASHIK. Rev. Fr.N.S.Varghese was appointed as the first Vicar of our parish. We had conducted the Holy Qurbana at the parishes of other demonization especially at infant Jesus Shrine at Nashik Road. Our parish was registed under Bombay Public Trust Act 1950 as a Charitable Trust with registration No.D-9 Nashik dated 06/12/1985.
After a long period of almost 9 years, the dream of constructing a Church came true, when we could purchase a plot of land having 602 sq.meters at Indira Nagar, Nashik. The foundation stone was laid by H.G.Dr. Philipose Mar Theophilus the then Metropolitan of Bombay Diocese. It took about four years to complete the construction. Though many tasks were considered as difficult it had become very easy by the intersession of our Patron Saint St.George and with the cooperation of all parish members and our well wishers. With their persistent hard work, the consecration ceremony was conducted in the year conducted the year 1996 by His Holiness Baselius Mar Thoma Mathew II. A “Cross Voult”, in the name of Mother Mary was consecrated by H.G Geevrghese Mar Coorilos on 7th September 1998. The hall and V.I.P room were constructed on the first floor and consecrated on 1st May 2004 by the H.G.Yahanon Mar Militheos Metropolitan of Trichur Diocese.
The year 2012, the Church is celebrated the 30 th year (Pearl Celebration) of her establishment. The pearl celebration of the Church was officially inaugurated by H.G.Geevarghese Mar Coorilos, the Diocesan Metropolitan on 1st May, 2012.
The following programmes were conducted as the part of Pearl Celebrations.
- Marriage Aid for two persons
- EducationalScholarship for poor and needy students.
- Blood Donation and Medical Camps.
- Charitable Medical Clinic for the poor at Church premises.
- Publication of Church Directory.
- Public function with the cooperation of other sister churches at Nashik.
At present the Parish is having 118, subscribing members. All the spiritual organizations are functioning well. Sunday School is functioning every Sunday after Holy Qurbana.We are having 6 prayer meetings in a month in four areas such as CIDCO, Nashik Road, Sharanpur and Satpur.Marth Mariam Samajam is also having 6 meetings in four areas. Apart from these area wise meeting, there will be a joint meeting in Church at second Sunday of every month and a fasting prayer on every first firdays at the Church.MGOCSM is very active and conducting meetings on every 2nd and 4th Sundays. MGOCSM is publishing a monthly magazine “Nuharo” for the last one year. Youth Movement, Elders Forum, BalaSamajam and DivyaBodanam classes are functioning very well.
Rev. Fr. N.S. Varghese, Rev.Fr.Jesudasan, Rev.Fr.VargheseYohanan, Rev.Fr.P.C.Thomas, Rev.Fr.Jiji K Thomas, Rev.Fr.JoseChemman , Rev.Fr.Dr.Shaji P John, Rev.Fr.ThomasMyalil, Rev.Fr.ShajiChacko, Rev. Fr.John Thomas and Rev.Fr.Thomas Philipose have served as vicars in the previous years.
At present Rev.Fr.Paul Mathew is the present Vicar of our Parish. We the Managing Committee and Members of the Parish are grateful to these shepherds who strived hard for upbringing of our parish.