St Thomas Orthodox Valiapally, Kalyan West
KALYAN – The place where St. Thomas the Apostle of India landed in AD 52 (as per history revealed by the late lamented Philipos Mar Theophilus) and we are blessed with his footprints.
In 1950, orthodox people who were living in and around Kalyan depended upon the mother parish St. Marys Orthodox Syrian Church Dadar to meet their spiritual needs. Considering the difficulties in reaching Dadar from Kalyan, the then Vicar of St. Marys Church Dadar Rev. Fr. Punnoose(The Late Lamented Stephanos Mar Theodosios) decided to conduct Holy Qurbana in Kalyan and accordingly the first Holy Qurbana was celebrated in December 1957 at St. Christopher Church at Kalyan which belongs to CNI Church.
With the intention to build a church and school in Kalyan, purchased a plot at Thangewadi in 1964 and a cross was placed in that plot. The Bishops who visits Dadar used to come to Kalyan and offer Prayer too. People of Kalyan started their efforts to start a school in Kalyan with the guidance of the then Vicar of St Mary’s church, Dadar,fr C.V. John in 1968. As soon as construction of the ground floor got completed, started Holy Qurbana at this new place instead of St. Christopher Church, KG classes were also started at the new premises in the name of St. Thomas school.Two services in a month were conducted till 1978.
Considering the increase in orthodox members in Kalyan and the repeated requests to H.G. Philipose Mar Theophilus,His Gracious declared St. Thomas Orthodox Syrian Church,Kalyan as an independent Parish with effect from April 1980. A Kalpana was issued in this respect and declared Kalyan Parish as independenton 6th April 1980. Rev Fr. Thomas Kurian was the first Vicar of the independent Church. People residing at Ambernath,Ulhasnagar,Dombivili were members of Kalyan Church and by the grace of god now there are Churches at Ambernath,Ulhasnagar and Dombivili.
Day by day the number of memebers were increasing and the space of school hall was not enough to accommodate the members attending Holy Qurbana and considering this we had decided to build a new Church and started its function in 1990 with the permission of H.G. Theophilus thirumeni and the guidance of Vicar Fr. Mathew Abraham.We completed the Church building and consecrated on 19th April,1993. H.G. Philipos Mar Theophilus was the chief Celebrant. H.G. Stephanos Mar Theodosios and H.G. Geevarghese Mar Coorilos were co-celebrants.
1. Rev. Fr. Thomas Kurian
2. Rev. Fr. C.J. Varghese
3. Rev. Fr. Koshy Plammoottil
4. Rev. Fr. P.O. Jacob
5. Rev. Fr. Mathew Abraham
6. Rev. Fr. Koshy Alex
7. Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Thannikot
8. Rev. Fr. N.S. Varghese
9. Rev. Fr. Thomas Panicker
10. Rev. Fr. T.A. Daniel
11. Rev. Fr. P.J. James
12. Rev. Fr. Benjamin S. Philip
13. Rev. Fr. Koshy Plammoottil
14. Rev. Fr. Varghese Yohannan
15. Rev. Fr. Yaunan Mulammoottil
16. Rev.Fr.Jiji K Thomas
1. Rev. Fr. George Varghese
2. Rev. Fr. M.E. Joseph
3. Rev. Fr. Presquillas Peter
Now we have 340 subscribed members. Very Rev N.S Geevargis Cor Episcopa and Fr. George Abraham are the members of our church. The 17th Vicar of the Church Fr. Shaji Chacko is serving as Vicar since JUNE 2015 onwards.
Sunday school, MGOCSM, youth League, Martha Mariam Vanitha Samajam are very well functioning in our church.A choir group is there adding solemnity to the Holy Qurbana. A team of Altar assistants are there and the senior most is Mr. P.G.Chacko.
We have erected a Kalluvilakku and FlagPole (kodi maram) in front of our church and was consecrated on 30th September 2012 by the Diocesan Metrapolitan His Grace Geevarghese Mar Coorilos Thirumeni. The repainted Holy Altar was blessed by the Diocesan Metrapolitan on the same day.
We have pride in informing that St. Thomas Orthodox Church, Kalyan is the second church in Bombay Diocese.