What is wrong in a Christian marrying a non-Christian?
By L.L.Dr.Geevarghese Mar Osthathios
We live at a time when governments are encouraging mixed marriages as a means of national integration. Rationalists say that Christians are not having a universal and cosmic outlook when they forbid inter-religious marriages. Are the Christians communalistic and narrow mined when they say with St.Paul “do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers”? There are many reasons for the Christian practice of marring only Christians.
- Marriage is a sacrament and Sacraments are not administered to the non-Christians as long as they do not join the church. Even the Hindus have Sudhikarma to make a non- Hindu a Hindu. The rite of initiation is practiced by all religions in one way or other to make one a member.
- Marriage is the most intimate bind
In one’s life and there should be deep agreement in the philosophy of life of both the partners, although certain different character or trains may be mutually complementary (e.g a miser and a spendthrift). Religion is one’s philosophy of life and so the partners must be of one religion.
- The bringing up of the Children will be problem in mixed marriages if couple want to bring them up of in the religious nurture. The child will be lost as to where to go –to the temple or church. Family prayer is necessary in a Christian home and in mixed marriage this will be impossible or at least difficult.
- Though there may be exceptions, many of the mixed marriages are ending up in separation, alienation or even divorce. The emotional love affair that brought the couple together will not last long when the realities of the family problem are faced by the couple. They do not have a common anchor of a common religious faith to hold then together without shipwreck.
- Everyone must be loyal to the particular discipline of the church to which one belongs. Radicals who go ahead with the idealism of their individuality will soon find out that they are ostracized by their society, family, and even intimate friends. Mixed marriage does not seems to be step to be taken to show an example to their community, for hardly anyone will follow suit except in love marriages.
6. The tradition and long practice of the church for two thousand years must be appreciated by the youth also. If one wants to marry a non-Christians, one must teach the partner the faith to which one belongs and convert the person to that faith and then have a religious wedding.